$73,027 to $84,510
Closing date: 26 March 2021 - 23:59, Pacific TimeWho can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
Are you looking for a career where you can make a difference in people’s lives? Do you want to contribute to creating tangible results? If so, Public Safety Canada may be the place for you!
At Public Safety, we embrace a greater diversity of voices and perspectives and make sure everyone’s contributions are valued and included.
Public Safety coordinates an integrated approach to emergency management, law enforcement, corrections, crime prevention and national and border security. We exercise national leadership in building a safe and resilient Canada. Our success lies with a dynamic workforce that strives for excellence and innovation. The way we do our work is just as important as the work we do.
We offer a variety of work locations with challenges and impacts like no other organization in Canada. We believe that our employees are the key to achieving our objectives. That is why we offer a positive work environment that is worthy of their commitment and professionalism. We promote career advancement by offering opportunities to develop and acquire new skills and knowledge. We encourage continuous training and embrace new technologies that allow us to increase efficiency and flexibility in our work environment.
Come to work in an environment that offers many challenges with the opportunity to work on high profile issues!
Most of our employees have been working from home through the pandemic and it is anticipated that remote work will be an important part of our flexible work arrangements for the foreseeable future.
« READI-POOLS »: What are they?
An ongoing intake of potential candidates and assessment for just-in-time staffing.
- The benefits of being part of our READI-POOLS:
You only need to apply once to be considered for many job opportunities. Don’t worry, once your application is in our inventory, even if your application is not selected for one job, it remains in the inventory and can be selected for other opportunities. As an applicant, you can go back and update your resume or respond to the pre-screening questions at any time.
Please note that each hiring manager may have specific criteria to assess for their respective positions. Therefore, “other” qualifications may be considered as essential qualifications based on the current and future requirements of the position being staffed. If you are referred for more than one opportunity, you may be re-assessed on the same criteria. Furthermore, if you do not obtain the required pass mark on one or more criteria, your application may remain in the inventory for possible referral for the other streams for which you have expressed an interest.
- Stream 1: Policy Analyst
- Stream 2: Corporate Strategic Planning Analyst
- Stream 3: Research Analyst
- Stream 4: Evaluation Analyst
We are taking a simplified approach for you to apply to this inventory. We don’t even require a cover letter! You just need to provide the following:
- Your resume, which must NOT exceed four (4) pages;
- During the application process, you will be asked to answer a series of pre-screening questions about “other” qualifications that may be a deciding factor in referring your application to hiring managers for consideration. In this instance, any of the “other” qualifications may be deemed essential requirements for the position being staffed.
- To demonstrate how you meet the screening criteria (education and experience), you will need to provide concrete examples for each screening question to clearly explain how you have acquired the education and experience criteria in 500 words or less.
NOTE: To facilitate the referral of applicants to hiring managers, only applications submitted online will be accepted.
We are aware that there are many questions to answer during the application process, please, keep in mind that, in answering all the questions for which you meet the criteria, you will significantly increase your chances to be referred to hiring managers for further consideration.
Please note that the first assessment process that will be conducted via this inventory will begin on October 12, 2020, with the screening phase. Other screening processes will be conducted periodically as vacancies arise.
- You are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we have an immediate needs to staff multiple positions.
This inventory will be used to staff immediate and future EC-04
vacant positions of various linguistic profiles, conditions of
employment, security requirements and various tenures within Public
Safety Canada. Persons seeking such job opportunities are therefore
encouraged to apply.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determinedInformation you must provide
Your résumé.In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- EDUCATION (COMMON TO ALL STREAMS) :
Graduation with a degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with acceptable specialization in economics, sociology or statistics.
Note: Candidates must always have a degree. The courses for the specialization must be acceptable and may have been taken at a recognized post-secondary institution, but not necessarily within a degree program in the required specialization. The specialization may also be obtained through an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
- EXPERIENCE (COMMON TO ALL STREAMS) :
1. Experience* gathering and synthesizing information from a variety of sources, and contributing to the development or preparing documents (such as research reports, policy analysis results in written analytical reports, issue analyses, planning documents, briefing notes or presentations) on strategic policy issues or initiatives.
2. Experience* contributing to the development of or providing strategic advice and recommendations to decision-makers on policy, programs, research or strategic planning issues/initiatives.
3. Experience* building and maintaining cooperative working relationships with stakeholders within or outside government.
- Experience will be evaluated in terms of length, complexity and diversity of work experience that was a core part of the candidate’s employment and would have normally been obtained during a period of approximately two (2) years. PLEASE keep in mind this definition when you provide your examples in response to the screening questions for the experience you indicate possessing.
Various language requirements
o English Essential or French Essential
o Bilingual Imperative: BBB/BBB
o Bilingual Imperative: CBC/CBC
o Bilingual Imperative: CCC/CCC
Information on language requirements
- COMPETENCIES (COMMON TO ALL STREAMS) :
1. Integrity and Respect
2. Analytical and Strategic Thinking
5. Collaboration and Network Building
7. Planning and organizing
- OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS (COMMON TO ALL STREAMS) :
1. Ability and willingness to work overtime on short notice, including evenings and weekends.
2. Ability and willingness to travel
- ASSET KNOWLEDGE (ONLY for Research Analyst & Evaluation Analyst positions):
1. Knowledge of qualitative and/or quantitative research approaches and methods (including strengths and limitations).
2. Knowledge of current or emerging public safety issues as they relate to countering radicalization to violence in Canada.
- ASSET KNOWLEDGE (ONLY for Evaluation Analyst positions):
1. Knowledge of evaluation methodologies and concepts (such as logic models, theories of change, causal attribution).Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance - NOTE: The security
requirements may vary according to the position to be staffed:
o Top Secret
- We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require special accommodation at any stage in the selection process, including technical aid to ensure an equitable assessment of your qualifications, please inform as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential;
- You must include a valid email address in your application. It is your responsibility to ensure that this address is functional and that it accepts messages from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email). It is also your responsibility to ensure accurate information is provided and updated as required ;
- The assessment board may assess qualifications using telephone interview, an in-person interview, pre-recorded video interviews, written tests, references or a combination of these or other assessment methods. Other sources of information (such as performance agreements, work samples, board member knowledge.) may be used to inform the assessment of the criteria identified on the Statement of Merit Criteria;
- A random selection and/or top-down selection may be used at any moment of the process to manage the number of candidates;
- Please use MS Word or other similar word processing tool to calculate the number of words used for each response submitted for the screening and text questions;
- Persons are entitled to participate in the selection process in the official language of their choice. Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application;
- If you need to communicate with us during any stage of this process, please indicate the selection process number in the subject field of your email;
- The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.